Sunday, January 18, 2009

Introduction

Welcome to my new blog! For anyone who might not know, I'm Tammy, I'm 29 years old, and I have metastatic breast cancer. ("Hi, Tammy...") It isn't anything I would have chosen for myself, but it's not as shocking as it might sound. This blog will chronicle my life as a breast cancer patient -- good stuff and bad stuff -- from doctor's appointments and scans, to my new healthier lifestyle habits, to developments and news and everything in between.

(At least, that's my intent. I'm not always as faithful at updating/maintaining blogs as I'd like to be!)

I've been posting off-and-on about my cancer experience over at MySpace since I was originally diagnosed (with Stage IIB cancer) in November of 2006. I'll continue to cross-post there; however, now that I'm a Stage IV, I wanted to have a place where I could post things that I might otherwise consider too short or too "boring" (or whatever) for my subscribers at that site. Plus, not everyone is on MySpace. (I don't even log in there all that much anymore.)

I hope this blog will be reasonably entertaining, and I hope to convey the "attitude" that I try to approach this disease with, which is a healthy balance of optimism and realism. I'm usually pretty successful at this (thanks in huge part to a wonderful support system of family, friends, doctors and "survivor sisters", not to mention my awesome fiancee). I won't necessarily always be Suzy Sunshine, but I strongly believe that there is ALWAYS hope, which truly does keep me going. As does taking things one day/step at a time...

Finally, I hope that anyone who reads this blog doesn't mind my overuse of quotation marks (and parentheses). And exclamation points!

Now as for the title of the blog -- unless you're a family member, you might be wondering about that. In short, when I went in for my first biopsy, back in November of '06, my sister Angie and my nephew Cooper (who was 2 and 1/2 at the time) happened to be along with me. That day, I had to take off my shirt and put on one of those hospital gowns(for the first of many, MANY times).

When I was putting my shirt back on, Cooper -- who'd been pretty quiet up until that point -- suddenly shouted, out-of-the- blue, "AUNTIE TAMMY'S NAKED!" It certainly lightened the mood of the afternoon; Angie and I cracked up. And to this day, certain family members will still tell Cooper to say the same line, and he'll delightfully oblige (which I have to admit, usually makes me and everyone else in the room chuckle).

While my nakedness is probably not a mental image that most of my readers want (heh), I can't think of a more appropriate title for this blog. I've lost count of how many times I've had to sit around in some medical office in a state of half-dress. Usually I'm wearing one of those gowns, but occasionally not even the gown, if the doctor needs to check my boobies!

Actually, during my first bout with cancer, if I had to expose a body part, most of the time it was my boobs; however, now that I have spots on my lower spine and pelvis, it's the other half of me that they "get" to see! I'm currently being treated with radiation, which is a breeze for the most part. But my least favorite part is definitely when I have to yank down my pants to below my "rear end" every day (so that my tattoos are visible). Granted, I'm covered up for the most part, but it's a little ... awkward. Especially the part at the end when the male technician always comes in and says, "You can pull up your pants."

(Shouldn't "you're all done for the day" be sufficient?)

Despite everything I just said, weirdly enough, you get used to all the undressing. BC doesn't leave a lot of room for modesty.

Anyhow, I'll post more later today or tomorrow. This past week was a good week for good news; I have a lot of things to share! I'm also working on my "blogroll" list and will get that up soon.

Until next time ...

5 comments:

  1. This has given me an idea for a script...

    ReplyDelete
  2. for what could have been a "depressing" cancer blog, I "lol'd" several times... how nice of them to "allow" you to pull your pants back up..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't want to rush with advice, but there is a wonderful book I read in the early 90's about this very subject called "Grace and Grit" by Ken Wilber and his wife who passed away from breast cancer. It's broken up with journal entries by both spouses, cataloging the progression of disease and treatment. I found it inspiring in my personal life and m work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great start to your blog! I can relate to the "pull up your pants now" and modesty out the window...glad I'm not the only one out there that felt this way. Best wishes...sounds like you have a great outlook on this "journey" (copied your use of quotes). Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr Itua cures my HIV, I have been an ARV Consumption for 10 years. I have been in pain until I came across Dr Itua on a blog site. I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location I explained everything to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cure me, he gave me guarantee, He asks me to pay for items fees so when I'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua. I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days. Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work. My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and the rest of my friends did too, Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what I'm talking about if you have the same problem I was having then not now though. I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center. I have his calendar too that he recently sent me, He Cures all kind disease Like, Cancer,Weak Erection, Wart Remover,Hpv, Herpes,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Cushing’s disease, Heart failure, Multiple Sclerosis, Hypertension,Fibromyalgia,Hiv, Hepatitis B, Liver/Kidney Inflammatory, Epilepsy,Blood Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Brain Cancer, Lung Cancer, Infertility,Parkinson's disease, Lung Cancer, Breast Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Blood Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Epilepsy disease, small-round-cell tumor Diabetes,Celiac disease, Ataxia, Arthritis, measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio, Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma, Asthma, Allergic diseases.Hiv/Aids,Herpe ,Copd, Glaucoma, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease, Enlarged prostate, Alzheimer's disease, Dementia. Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back. Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete